Nonreality;331126 Wrote:
> I would say that most modern albums (guessing 95% and up) need a
> negative replay gain.  That means that the volume needs to be lowered
> to match up with other albums and not get into overiding peak values
> and causing clipping.  Clipping is bad and can cause problem the least
> of which is damage to your speakers.  Most replay gain programs are set
> to around .89db so you normally have negative values in the replay gain.
> Using dbpoweramp or foobbar you can have it tag your files with album
> gain and track gain.  Album gain will keep albums that you are playing
> to the same level while allowing songs to vary as they do on the
> original album.  Track  gain is useful for playlists to keep individual
> songs in the same volume range. It's the most important for mixes and
> playlists.  You need to set volume control in the settings on the SB to
> smart gain and the SB will use track gain when needed and album gain
> when needed.  It works rather well.  Make sure what ever program you
> use does both album and track gain. Track gain probably being the most
> important if you do mixes.  If you happen to have Itunes soundcheck
> tags then don't use replay gain as the Squeezecenter software doesn't
> work right with both tags.  It adds them both together and causes too
> much volume reduction or gain if you have a postitive replaygain
> number.  Most new music runs between -5db and -12db because of the
> volume wars.  Everyone wants to be noticed and dynamic range be damned.
> Louder is better.  I recommend dbpoweramp and let it do it's thing.
>
> EDIT:  Once you have replay gain working, just use your volume dial to
> adjust.  The big round one usually. :)

If dbpoweramp was free I would not cringe every time you have
recommended dbpoweramp, which you have done in at least 10 different
getting commission from these guys for your constant recommendation.
Recommend some free programs once in while since dbpoweramp is not the
only choice out there or necessarily the best for everything...please.
: )

--
mark95841