liffy99;332522 Wrote:
> Thanks Nonreality
>
> I think I do understand the Loudness Wars and the problem with dynamic
> range (and that brush strokes probably would not start out at 89db - a
> rather extreme example I'm sorry). What I struggle with is the
> different scales being used.
>
> One moment I am told that 0db equates to full output and anything that
> tries to break this "barrier" is clipped. OK - that's clear.
>
> Then this arbitrary level of 89db is touted around, but db is a
> relative scale, so 89db compared to what ? It surely can't be 89db
> below full output ! Or is it 89db above the -96db that might equate to
> the lower threshold of Red Book resolution (which, presunably, could
> also be represented as -7db).
>
> Then the gap between 89db and "something" is stated as being 11db - so
> presumambly full output has now been expressed as 100db (and with a
> fixed maximum dynamic range of 96db, how does this fit in with CD ?).
> So this would suggest a max difference of 11db between "average" and
> "peak" loudness.
>
> Why can't we all use the same scale, for example;
>
> 0db = full output
> -15db = arbitrary average loudness that Replay Gain would seek to match
> -96db = lowest level that CD can reach
>
> So, on a "good" recording, the real dynamic range might span, say,
> -50db to -2db (giving a 48db range)with an average loudness level of,
> say, -20db. With the headroom available above -2db it is unlikley that
> a recording like this has been "clipped".
>
> But what we are often getting might be a range of -20db to 0db (where
> peaks may have been clipped during the mastering process to ensure no
> output beyond 0db) with an average loudness level of, say, -9db. Lousy
> dynamic range, loud and clipped !
>
> Or am I completely missing the boat somewhere ?Like I said before, I'm
> probably not the best at this.  I think it was
that 89db was the max to allow headroom for vinyl recordings.  It is
just an 11db allowance for peaks.  It was to mantain good dynamic
range.  If you go much more you are not going to like the results with
some albums.  Actually many albums.  If you get a chance, go to
hydrogenaudio.com and search a lot and read what you find. It will be
much better than me trying to explain.  I run my replaygain with the
defaults and never have problems so that is part of why I say to use
the defaults.  I do know that some press it to 91 with ok results and I
think that I shared that.  I think you need to read up on it from better
sources than myself.  I've kinda wrapped my head around it but that
doesn't mean I can explain it well. :)  Oh and as other have said I
think, replay gain will not fix bad recordings, you will still have
clipping on a lot of modern albums.

--
Nonreality

-IF THE RULE YOU FOLLOWED BROUGHT YOU TO THIS, OF WHAT USE IS THE RULE.-

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality