Well, gradually going through the whole collection with Foobar 2000 and
adding replay gain (question : why doesn't Foobar show the RG details
in the RG column ? They appear if I look at Track Properties and if I
try to add RG again it tells me they are already there).

Most albums end up with a suggested level reduction, far fewer with an
increase. Typically many rock albums seem to get a 5-10db decrease and
jazz and classical a 0-5db decrease. A few (mostly classical) albums
get a small increase.

So, this will mean that when I listen to them with RG on, levels will
be much the same for the average perceived music loudness but I'll have
to crank the volume control round more to get back to the original
volume levels of the tracks that have had gain reductions.

One thing I'm still a little hazy about is the selection of this 89db
default. 89db from what ? If I were to alter the default level by the
amount that many albums have had their gain reduced by (say 9db) - to
98db, what would be the result ? All albums would still be at the same
average loudness, but louder overall (meaning less cranking of the
volume control on the amp). Although I assume I'd have to re-analyse
and tag all the files to conform to the new 98db default.

nearly there . . . .

--
liffy99