liffy99;332171 Wrote:
> So, this will mean that when I listen to them with RG on, levels will be
> much the same for the average perceived music loudness but I'll have to
> crank the volume control round more to get back to the original volume
> levels of the tracks that have had gain reductions.

Sure, but why would you want to?  The average CD is so loud that if you
cranked up the volume to its "original volume level" it would be way too
loud.

RG is attempting to adjust the volume for you - it's like it's moving
the knob.  With RG, you start playing and settle on a comfortable
volume level.  You can then leave it alone and as playback moves from
track to track, RG will attempt to make sure that the playback volume
is even between tracks*, which means you don't have to fiddle with the
volume as much.

Without RG, if you had a nice CD mastered in the mid-80s (in my
opinion, the golden age of the CD) and then moved to one produced
recently, you would almost certainly have to make a huge volume
adjustment.

* assuming track gain.

--
Mark Lanctot

"Make it so it doesn't suck" is a good design target, but hard to
implement - Michael Herger