Ahahhh - "I can see clearer now . . . . "

Thanks CliveB. So 89db "SPL" is an absolute measure, not a relative
one. I quite agree that if we all referred levels to the 0db full
output mark it would make a lot more sense.

And the 11db thing is just a complete red herring.

And as for "cranking the volume round more" it's just a psychological
thing. After many years of analogue volume controls I've been happy
runnning with the knob at the 11am-ish position (which always felt
there was a lot more in the pot if needed).

Now I have an all digital set-up with a digital vol. control calibrated
in db. Up until replay gain, serious listening was done with the control
at about 60-65 (OK the number should be reducing as the volume increases
if we are relating everything to the 0db full output mark but hey ho).
With RG switched in I'm now listening at abou 70 for the same loudness
as before. Just feels kind of close to the max output on the dial of 89
(even though, logarithmically, it is using only a little more than one
hundredth of the max power available (on average).

Thanks everyone - I'll butt out of this one now (and write to complain
to record companies about their mastering . . . . )

PS Downloaded Stravinsky's Firebird Suite from www.hdtracks.com - now
that DOES have some dynamics !

--
liffy99