Thanks for all the suggestions. After reading some responses, I delved a
little further and found some causes of the problems:

- I've been using my laptop with a 1.73GHz Pentium M to control
Squeezcenter.  Switching to my quad-core gaming rig in the basement
sped it up quite a bit.  But I don't want to have to go down to the
basement to control squeezecenter.

- I had the interface set to display 500 items at a time, because I
hate breaking lists into small chunks; I like to be able to scroll
through long lists all at once.  Anyway, the large number of items in
the playlist was killing the interface, because everytime I added
something to the playlist it had to reshuffle and redisplay the entire
playlist.  It sped up quite a bit when I set the interface to display
only 100 items at a time.  They really should have 2 different settings
- one for the number of items displayed in the 'browse library' frame,
another for the number of items displayed in the 'playlist' frame.

- Switching to the classic interface (didn't know that option was
available) was the ultimate solution!  Gobs faster, and structured much
better for quick browsing - clicking the down arrow next to an artist
dynamically expands the list to show the albums for that artist (and
clicking an album expands the list to show all the tracks), without
switching to another web page... so I can add the album or tracks I
want, and just continue browsing through the list of artists.  I didn't
recall the old slimserver software even having that convenient feature!
Problem solved.

I will try the Moose interface as suggested, it looks very well done.

Thanks for the helpful comments.

--
sfgorman