>That way everybody can be happy - the guitarist wanting to go back a
>few seconds and the podcast listener wanting to skip a multi-minute
>block of commercials.

No, actually my point is that I don't know an arbitrary time to jump forward
to.  I don't listen to podcasts twice; I listen to podcasts to discover new
music, mainly ambient/electronic music - often long podcasts with long tracks,
a bit of chat, adverts, etc.

Being able to control the speed when skipping forward is useful.  This was
discussed - should it be a manual action to speed up the acceleration, or
automatic - the longer you hold the FWD button down, the faster the speed for
seeking forwards.  I'm not sure how it ended up, nor how it works with
Transporter/Boom knobs (I think it's meant to accelerate depending how fast the
knob is turned or how long it is turned).  When I was beta testing, I didn't
notice any acceleration, which made long jumps painful (litterally).

With the current functionality, none of those mechanisms help if I want to skip
to the next interesting part of the track.  The only way to do it is to jump
forward a little bit, wait for playback to restart at the new position, listen
to see if the sound is different (eg. when wanting to skip to the next part of
a podcast), nope, so jump ahead a little bit more..., wait for playback to
restart, nope too far, skip back a bit, wait for playback to restart...

With the current functionality, I think the track is divided up; 1 display
pixel will equal n seconds depending how long the track is (up to some maximum
limit)?  So a short song may have 1 pixel = 1 second, whereas a long podcast
could have 1 pixel = 20 seconds.  So it may not be possible to jump forward
less than 20 seconds for some tracks, and it may take a long time to scroll
through a long track.

The best way is to have some audio feedback whilst moving the play position
forwards/backwards.

... or some form of "skip to next significant change in sound" automation.

... or instead of a solid/clear progress bar to set playback position, show
some representation of the track in terms of sound (eg. volume level over time,
oscillator, peak meter).

Phil