This is a very interesting thread. Let me summarize: PLEASE GIVE US BACK
AUDIO WHILE FAST FORWARDING AND REWINDING AS A USER PREFERENCE! PLEASE
PLEASE PLEASE.

As a professional mastering engineer, one of my regular tasks is to
listen/evaluate a new piece of music that comes in from a prospective
client. Usually my assistant puts it on the slimserver because it's
easy and convenient to play, it's in the folder called "listen_evals"
and stays there for a time. I almost never have time to listen to the
whole piece. Usually I want to play the intro, hear a little of the
verse, and skip forward to a chorus or some other parts. Although the
old software's fast forward was pretty dumb sounding and you had to be
real careful not to accidentily skip to the next file instead----a
reasonably skilled listener could at least tell when the chorus began
while skimming!

So I need this and dearly miss the ability to hear something while
skimming forward. It's a real time saver in a long piece of music to
find the spot you're looking for. This should be intuitively obvious to
the most casual observer. Thanks in advance. Can someone please pass
this on to the developers? Make it a preference and then everyone can
have their cake and eat it, too. I do recognize how much faster it is
to fast forward or rewind IF YOU KNOW exactly how far you're going. But
if you are listening to an unknown piece of music, having some audio
clue as to where you are when skipping is essential. End of discussion.
:-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]