+1 for original post, and +1 for the configurable advance suggestion
above

I can see there may have been some value to the original approach for a
few use cases, but it never worked well enough for me to bother and the
original functionality was not what unfamiliar users expected to see
(in my experience it was most often the first "rough edge" they would
find in an otherwise impressive initial impression).

The 7.2 solution is quite serviceable but IMO the iPod still has much
more usable FF/RW scan/seek support, so there is room for additional
improvement. While the iPod UI is not perfect (or even good, in some
cases), it does seem to have become something of a de facto standard by
which others are judged for many potential users (as with Windows 95 UI
sets expectations for many PC users).

--
syburgh