I gave mediamonkey a try. It looks like a serious alternative to iTunes.
However, mediamonkey does not seem to manage my movies and video
podcasts (not to mention iPhone applications and ringtones). So I'll
stick with iTunes for now.

Furthermore, mediamonkey only runs on Windows. In other words it breaks
you free from Apple, but binds you to Microsoft :(

Finally, it seems possible to drive a Squeezebox from mediamonkey. So
mediamonkey is not only an alternative to iTunes, but also to
SqueezeCenter, though a very primitive one. Too good to be true ;)

Regards,

JC

--
andlauer