igroucho;341307 Wrote:
> If you're anal about the ripping the safest way is probably using Exact
> Audio Copy. iTunes will not give you bit-perfect rips even thou the
> difference would not be audible. iTunes will usually give you bit-perfect
> rips and EAC won't always. I
don't understand this iTunes bias (as someone who used to keep a PC
around solely for EAC). The hardware is at least as important as the
software and iTunes is fine in most cases and in severely damaged discs
EAC may also have problems. All things equal EAC is superior, but all
things are rarely equal. I'd certainly recommend EAC if Windows is
used, but I wouldn't state iTunes will "not give you bit-perfect rips"
as many tests on the web have quite definitely proven otherwise (and
now years ago). The differences between to two apps over a variety of
damaged disks is greatly over exaggerated. EAC does though have quite
nice reporting.

If in the end you want to try an alternative ripper, closer to EAC but
on OS X, give Max a shot - http://sbooth.org/Max/

As for the format question: as mentioned it basically comes down to
which you'd less want to give up - greater Apple support or FF/RW on
the Squeezeboxes. In the end I use ALAC because iTunes (on OS X) when
coupled with the available Applescripts (
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/ ) is a wonder at handling tag
information.

--
blessingx

'★'
(http://www.last.fm/user/blessingx/)  -'this
american life' (http://thislife.org/), 'take-away
shows'
(http://www.blogotheque.net/spip.php?page=cae_all&lang=en),
'jazz profiles'
(http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10208861),
'streaming soundtracks'
(http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/)-

macbook )))
⊗ squeezebox 3 → assemblage dac1 → rudistor nxØ2
sistema → at w1ØØØ / etys er4p/s
⊗ squeezebox 3 → parasound 11ØØ hd #1 → stax
srm-ØØ7t → stax lambda sig / lambda pro
⊗ squeezebox 3 → parasound 11ØØ hd #2 → single power
extreme platinum → senn hd58Ø x2