Personally, i just use high quality VBR LAME MP3's created from my FLAC
library with DBpowerAMP. BTW, rockbox Version 3 is now out but still no
support for the new iPods or the last generation, so there is no way of
playing FLAC's.

Lossless is wasted on an iPod; the very average DAC, not-so-great
headphone AMP, compressed circuitry and lack of a proper line-out means
the difference between high bitrate MP3/AAC and lossless is almost
entirely negated. As thats not even talking into account the inherent
issues with in car noise etc. Add the fact you can carry much more
music and using ALAC just seems a bit silly to me.

Also, if we are talking about the iPod Classic (which i assume we are
as it would be pretty pointless on the limited storage of the
nano/touch), lossless files will drain the battery faster and reduce
the iPod's life span due to increased HDD access - but thats not so
much of an issue in a car with a power supply always handy.

--
autopilot

*Server:* SC7.2 (Windows Vista 64)
*Players:* Squeezebox 3 (main room) / Squeezebox Receiver (bedroom) /
Softsqueeze (office).
*Amps:* Cambridge Audio 640a (main room) / Trends TA10.1 Class-T /
Logitech 5.1.
*Speakers:* Mission 701's (living room) / Kef Cresta 1's (bedroom) /
Logitech 5.1's.
*Remotes:* Harmony One (IR) / 1 Beta SB Controller / 1 Official SB
Controller.

'LAST.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/domrevans/)