I have to disagree that you can't tell the difference between 320vbr and
lossless in Cars.  It really depends on the car and the amount of road
noise transferred to the cabin.

My current cars factory head unit play wma lossles native off a USB
key.  I did a back to back comparison between lossless and 320kbps vbr
and was actually surprised that I could hear a difference.  My last car
had DVD-A support and it was night day different than regular CDs.

That said I couldn't tell the difference on my Zune or computer
speakers.  So as mentioned above the sub par DAC and headphone amp in
iPods and such are more the limiting factor.

--
Jeff Flowerday