Bruce Hartley;345217 Wrote:
> I figured either:
> a) I get the SBC to send the commands to the receiver.
> Initially volume up & down, and power on / off would be more than
> enough.

I believe someone has worked on getting LIRC ported to the SBC, but it
didn't seem to get too far.

There is an LIRC/SqueezeCenter integration through the IR Blaster
plugin, which uses LIRC IR config files.  If there was an SBC interface
to IR Blaster you could use IR Blaster's commands and even perhaps
"chain" the commands like IR Blaster does.

> b) I get the SBC to send commands to the Squeezecenter server that then
> sends the commands to the receiver.
> Guess the bonus of this would be that the server could send command
> based on power on events on the players?

Probably the most flexible and powerful of these options.  I was going
to say the most complex but if all you're doing is passing CLI commands
from SqueezeCenter to the receiver maybe not?

I don't know if SqueezeCenter has a mechanism for passing CLI commands
via telnet to a host on the network but if so it could work well.

> Have had a look at the template projects (and the media center
> controller app) for the SBC and I'm going to have a bash.

Please consider making your efforts public - you'll be a community hero
if you can get something working here.  Many have asked for the SBC to
act as a "universal remote" and it has the hardware to do it but the
software has to be written.  If you came up with something it'd be a
start that someone else might be able to take further...

You might want to ask more technical questions in the Developers forum,
http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

--
Mark Lanctot

"Make it so it doesn't suck" is a good design target, but hard to
implement - Michael Herger