UPnP support could be a solution, and outsourcing the entire SC instance
would be most desirable (with VPS prices these days, it's not too far
over the horizon for DIY).

I think the OP has a point. Cost of such an embedded-SC device could be
contained if it was an 'NSLU2'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2)-style, with ports to attach
peripheral USB disks and CDROM drives for storage and ripping.

It's not a stretch to see SC7 run on such a device (the hardware in an
modern mobile handset is nearly sufficient). A PC could manage it as a
USB slave device or via web interface.

So BOM would at least need: modern CPU (Intel Atom comes to mind),
256MB-512MB of RAM, sufficient flash memory for OS+SC+future, wireless
and wired NICs, USB controllers, PSU, case. SD/Logitech is already
supporting one such platform (the controller) which has most of the
necessary features (though not in the necessary quantity for a good
user experience running SC), so I don't see why it would be too hard to
apply that experience to a SC appliance.

This would also be a great reason to rework SC to be less resource
hungry. I am still baffled by the incredible memory consumption and
poor web UI performance (400-2000 msec per pageview on modern 1+ GHz
hardware is shockingly slow). IME, SC uses much more memory than the
combined footprint of a standard Redhat/Fedora installation, and this
is before the first library scan (starts at 60-80MB, grows to 110-150MB
with 10k tracks). Fortunately SC7 seems pretty stable, and hardware is
cheap these days. I wouldn't trade the cross-platform or reliability
aspects for better performance.

The economics clearly exist: wouldn't an 'Apple TV'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV) (released over two years ago)
have nearly everything necessary after stripping out the disk? I can
buy an MSI Wind PC for '$150'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167032) at
retail today.

This sounds like a modest undertaking on the hardware side, so I would
guess that research indicates there is simply not a large enough market
for such a device (or a preference for players with more in-built
functionality, Roku-style). If the "success" of WHS and the original
NSLU2 are any indication, the market for such a device is probably
smaller than we forum regulars might hope.

--
syburgh