fattybacon;348262 Wrote:
> As for people saying that what you are asking for is a computer so use a
> computer, I think they are missing the point that the duet receiver is
> also a computer. So why not use it?

No, the SBR doesn't run Linux.  And it's only a computer in that it has
a CPU and RAM.  But it's not even close to something you could get Linux
to run on - it has a Ubicom network processor that's definitely not your
conventional x86 architecture and it uses firmware developed in
expensive proprietary software.

You'd have to build a whole new product.  You can't simply drop SC into
the SBR and expect it to run.

> As for the Yamaha and Olive offerings, have you seen the price of them?
> The market wants Duet prices not megabucks.

But that's what a server-and-networked-media-player costs.  There are
reasons why they cost so much.  Sure, those are overpriced, especially
the Olive, but they will be a lot more than $100.

I don't really understand why people can't follow the suggestions in
this thread and get a low-powered computer, install SC on it and be
done with it?  I keep seeing this request pop-up though, perhaps there
is a market for just that - a low-powered PC with SC preinstalled,
marketed as a "SqueezeCenter server".  I keep thinking I would like to
do this but then I picture the support nightmare, I wouldn't want to
touch that with a 10-foot pole...

--
Mark Lanctot

Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta)
Stored: Boom (PQP1 - early beta), SBC (beta - no battery)
Sold: SB3, Duet