I was surprised to learn just how usable a 3.2" touch screen can be
after using a portable Garmin GPS unit for a few days.  It's a nice
interface, the touch screen works well, and even that small screen
offers a decent amount of real estate for a device that stays within a
foot or so of your eyes and hands.

That said, a SB4 with an LCD screen seems like it would be less usable
than the current VFD when viewed from across the room.  The current
controller works well because that 1.5" album cover is close to your
eyes.  The LCD would have to be huge to make album graphics viewable
from across the room, and if you're aiming for that, you might as well
just include a video out and let people display menus and graphics on a
42" LCD where they might actually be compelling.

I do agree that one of the very strong points of the Controller is that
you do NOT have to look at the player.  Putting an LCD on the player is
a step backwards, IMO.  It might be nifty for a small % of customers in
special situations, but probably has little mass-market appeal.

I continue to believe that any SB4 would have to be a redesign of the
AUDIO circuitry, not the VIDEO circuitry.  24/96 capability, a better
DAC, etc. would be the evolutionary platform advance.

--
Pale Blue Ego