MrSinatra;358267 Wrote:

> give me an example of a "Democratic" gov't we opposed simply b/c it
> leaned left?

Chavez, Allende
(http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB123/chile.htm)

> as to saddam, he didn't lean left or right, he was a dictator we used
> during the cold war.  sometimes you have to make hard choices.

Maybe. Makes you incredible and unpopular, though. That was my point.

> that isn't true.  i bet there are people in this very thread who are
> against us being there.

You'll always find some people who are against anything. That's the
nature of a democracy, isn't it? Wasn't it that what you claim to
promote.
I am not against it and Germany does have troops there. They sometimes
even get killed.

> again, not true.  i keep saying it and you keep ignoring it.
> armistice, 91.
> the WMDs were inventoried by the UN.  they are still unaccounted for
> today.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/03/07/sprj.irq.un.transcript.blix/index.html
Show me a single piece of evidence for you claims

> maybe we wouldn't have to talk or act so much if the other countries of
> the world did ANYTHING.

This may be true. But nobody forces the US to do anything.

> tell me, what is Germany doing in afghanistan?  answer, BALKING.  nada,
> nothing, very very little, and ZERO in the combat zones.
Well, as I said before, we do have troops there and they do die.
There still is some sentiment in this world about Germany going to war,
ask our British friends here in the thread about this.
And when we finally signed a peace treaty after WW2 (which actually
happened as late as 1990), we guaranteed to only go to arms under NATO
command, a proposition required, among others, by the US. Later that
was revised to also allow UN command.

That said, I never claimed that the US are only doing bad. I completely
acknowledge that its very often the US that has to bail out
international organizations when it's getting hot and I am also no
friend of the "soft" pressure of imposing economic sanctions on a
country because (for example in the case of Iraq) those can kill even
more people and only put pressure on the people, not the ones in
power.

But claiming that the US is doing this for others is simply ridiculous
and also, I was talking about sentiment towards the US in the world.
You can't talk that away, it's there. Leave your country and you will
see it. You want to fight terrorism? Cool way to do it, believe me the
Iraq war was the single most efficient recruiting campaign they ever
had...

--
pippin

---