This sounds very like the problems I had with MiP with Squeezecentre
running on OSX.  I got the M icons but things wouldn't play; eventually
just gave up.  I will try again when 7.3 is released properly I think.
And when I have some time spare...

In the meantime, I've been copying playlists from iTunes Genius.  Ugh,
it seems to ignore a large part of my library and, no matter what I
start from, seems to end up preferring 80s synth-pop and then going in
ever decreasing circles through the same few albums.  I assume MiP is
rather better than that... ;)

--
SJobson

Mac Mini - Squeezebox 3 - MF X-Dac V8 - MF XT-100 - Spendor S5e