Hi there,
I honestly believe that if you think your existing speakers are fine
for most of the music or movies you use them for, then changing to
either the Transporter, or even a Duet won't help because they aren't
related to the problem. Keep the ipod; I think the problem lies in your
music library.
I think the very fact that some songs sound good, and some songs sound
bad is because they are compressed at different levels.
Go into the settings in iTunes and tell us what quality (not just
format) you are ripping at.
If we here believe it is at an acceptable level (by default, I belive
it isn't), then create a (short) list of (some of) the songs that sound
bad.
You may find that these are the ones you downloaded. Play them and find
out what bitrate they are encoded at (this is the easiest way to find
out quality). If there is no bitrate info, then look at the file size.
It should be (for mp3 or mp4) about 1MB for every minute of a song (not
a definitie rule).
If the iTunes encoding quality is at a low level, then we've solved
your problem (and for free no less).
I'm almost positive you'll find that the songs that sound bad are
related to the quality at which they were encoded, and NOT your
equipment.
Those with smaller file sizes and lower bitrates will sound worse than
those with larger.
Save yourself the money, dig out your old CDs and rip them in a
lossless format; you certainly seem to have the storage available.
If you can't fit them all on your ipod in lossless format (it's about
10x larger than lossy), then rip to a high quality lossy (we can help
you in choosing which one).
There is plenty of information on the different formats available on
the internet. The 'wiki at Hydrogen Audio'
(http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/) is a goldmine.

Note that I am not an iTunes user, so can't answer any help questions
about it.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and you can't trust music you've downloaded from the internet for
quality. High quality downloads are usually few and far between.

--
JadeMonkee

2x squeezebox classics {1x wired, 1x wifi} | squeezecentre v7.2.1 |
'readynas duo' (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22) {
raidiator 4.14 | 1gb hynix hymd512m646cfp8-j | 2x 1tb samsung hd103uj }