@ cliveb, jeffmeh, marsboer:
Sorry if I was too ambigous regarding -where- RG should be applied. If
we -know- that we have something »at the receiving end« that -can- do
it, we should do it there, since the receiver might well have some 24-,
48- or 96-bit DAC that of course could apply changes much more
»lossless«.

I also very much agree with the possibility of a decision on a
per-player basis. (Missing it on remote streams though—I often
listen to my music while working and use Winamp or xmms for that.)

I found that this actually pretty much is how SC/SB combos work
already.

The reason for maybe elaborating too much on general principles was
maybe that

- I tend to see all standpoints, try not to forget a real-world
  possibility. (Over 30 years in the business affect the brain ;-)
- I also tried using a »remote stream«, i.e. hooking Winamp to SC.
  Which will currently -not allow RG adjustment.- (That’s why I
  thought about doing something on the server end for these cases.
  Almost every cheap software player can do that nowadays, so I
  expected it not be too much overhead for these cases.)
- I have been working a lot in the broadcasting area during the past
  years, this might have influenced my writing a little. (Need to do
  all processing before signal gets »on air«.)
- Frankly, I’m quite new to this product, so I haven’t
  had the time to study each and every aspect of it. (Actually missed
  how much RG stuff was already implemented.)

Anyway, sometimes a good thing to »re-invent the wheel« again without
being influenced, and then compare the results.

So, my apologies if I offended anyone by stating the obvious again. I
guess we pretty much agree, after all.

--
Moonbase

Moonbase: 'The Problem Solver' (http://www.kaufen-ist-toll.de/moonbase)