agillis;406493 Wrote:
> You should not run two access points with the same ID. Get one access
> point and a wifi extender. Vista should be stable although sometimes
> the multitasking abilities leave something to be desired. I would
> recommend VortexBox it's simple and uses very low resources.

Nonsense.  Any large office runs multiple access points with the same
SSID.  That's what roaming is about.  I have run two in my house for
years.  I run the two on different channels, but you can experiment
with that as well - one channel will work.  For now, the controller
won't roam, so you have to force it to switch access points if you move
it.

As for your question - IMHO, linux is much more reliable than windows.
I run Debian etch (waiting for the bugs to shake out before going to
lenny) and it would run forever if I didn't reboot once a month to fsck
the file systems.  It will reliably restart itself is a power failure
takes it down.  Only problem is the learning curve to get is set up
correctly.

--
Millwood

2 SB3, 1 Duet
Debian Etch server
2 AP (netgear, linksys) wireless network.