Over the last few years, I've been running various flavors of
SlimServer/SqueezeCenter on a couple of Linux releases (currently
Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS) and it's been really solid (for the solid
SlimServer/Squeezecenter releases -- Squeezecenter has been quite good
through most of its life, and SlimServer was pretty good except, I
recall, for awhile right after a major version version release whose
number I don't remember).  But yes, I'm convinced Linux is in general the
most bulletproof platform for SlimServer.

A Debian-flavored release (such as Ubuntu) is convenient because you can
just put the Slimdevices debian package repository in the update list,
then Sqeezecenter releases become visible and available for optional
upgrade via the OS's regular update tools.

If I were setting up a new server for this, I expect I'd try to install
it on whatever the most recent Ubuntu release is which has been
designated "LTS" (Long-Term Support).

  http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes

  http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

(Looks like Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS is supported until April of 2013.)

I ran SlimServer for awhile under Mac OS X, and that was... perfectly
fine, I guess, although I was easily confused by issues related to
per-user versus per-system install; and my Mac desktop goes up and down
more often (to accommodate restart-requiring updates) than I prefer for a
music server.  The Linux box I run the music server on is dedicated to
long-running services and stays up usually a few months between times I
bother with updates and reboots.  But I don't feel the need to keep up
with bleeding-edge updates, because that machine's only contact with
hosts outside our home is via connections it initiates to a controlled
set of hosts.

As for the networking issues...  I connect as many of the nodes as
possible via hardwired ether.  Wireless networking just provides another
way for the whole setup to flake out for reasons beyond one's control
(the neighbor decides to set up an access point one floor below you on
the exact same channel as your network, or microwaves some popcorn, or
there are...  sunspots, or ghosts, or something).  I kind of hate
wireless.  I only use it (grudgingly) for laptops and a Squeezebox in
a bathroom.

 -Jeff