eganders;428187 Wrote:
> 1.) How physically close are your neighbors and their networks?

It's your typical street full of houses in the suburbs - meaning houses
on both sides of the street, side by side. I haven't gone knocking on
doors to figure out who has WiFi routers mind you... ;-)

eganders;428187 Wrote:
> 2.) I see that your SBR is in a bit of a cubbyhole.  What is the
> shelving made from?  How about the back wall?  Is there a room on the
> other side or is that an external wall?

Shelves = wood. Not sure what kind, but the outside pieces are panels,
I think of thicker/heavier wood, the inside are made of a different kind
of wood. The back wall is the outside wall of my house - not much behind
there.

eganders;428187 Wrote:
> 3.) How have you run the wiring / cabling necessary for power and signal
> (where necessary) to your various devices on the shelves?  It might help
> with the diagnosis, but I'm curious as well ;)

Vacuflo tubes - if you check out the article I linked to and look at
the photos, you'll see what it all looks like.

eganders;428187 Wrote:
> 4.) Where is your router relative to your SBR in distance and height?
> What does the signal have to penetrate to get to your SBR?  Is it on the
> same plane or a different floor of the house, etc.?

It's in my basement furnace room. It's elevated up onto a high shelf,
well away from any large metal objects, etc. I'd say it's about 15 feet
away from the receiver, diagonally, through one layer of floor. Every
WiFi router I've had for the past eight years has been in the same basic
location.

Here's the thing I find very puzzling about going down the road being a
signal strength issue: I had *zero* signal strength problems with the
WRT54G router, and the 610N is supposed to be stronger/better/faster in
every way (MIMO antennae, etc.). I really do appreciate everyone's
input, but I'm quite certain it's more about the router itself and how
it interacts with the receiver than pure signal strength issues.

At any rate, so far no drops outs today since I switched from Auto
Channel to one specific channel - so maybe that's the only tweak I'll
need. We'll see!

--
jasondunn