Goodsounds;450255 Wrote:
> Tired Legs - Good comments, I agree. Same to Moonbase (relative to his
> general comments).
>
> Similar comments describing a seemingly disinterested attitude
> concerning the Joe Sixpack market segment (the largest portion of the
> potential market, by the way) have been made before. And, I recall, were
> also responded to by saying that they are "making the installation
> process easier", which is NOT the point.
>
> It may be that the company doesn't share the view or doesn't want to
> change its direction.

Maybe Joe Sixpack isn't the target user for the current release ?

I've never seen Logitech stating that they are targeting Joe Sixpack
and remember just because there are a lot of them it doesn't mean that
they are easy to reach. Joe Sixpack might not be the easiest way to
increase the economical result for Logitech.

To reach Joe Sixpack, a lot of other things might be needed than just
making the Squeezebox products easier to use.

IMHO, there are two ways Joe Sixpack would be able to use the
Squeezebox products:
- If he/she only used streaming services and it was very easy to
connect it to the network, it probably needs to be bundled with a
pre-configured router to make this possible.
- If Logitech solved the whole ripping part to make it easy to make
that CD available to the Squeezebox system

You have to remember that Joe Sixpack is used to turning on the radio
or to buy a CD and insert it into a CD player, where the CD player or
radio just needs to be plugged into the wall to work. As long as it's
harder than this to use the Squeezebox products, I'm pretty sure Joe
Sixpack will prefer his radio or CD player. We are not talking about
someone that knows what a MP3 file is and we are not talking about
someone that used to work with a computer or wireless networks.

I think this type of user can be very hard to reach so Logitech
probably have to do this in steps. To me, the first logical step seems
to make it possible for users that at least are familiar with MP3 files
to use the products and to make it easier for users that only use online
streaming services to setup the device in the network.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))