kphinney;469876 Wrote:
> My hopes of the new SB Touch having 802.11n at 54ghz didn't pan out.
> For one, I'm going to hold off on buying any wireless product that
> doesn't support 802.11n using 5ghz.  At present my entire network is
> capped by having two SB3s running at 802.11g & 2.4ghz.  This brings my
> top-end down from 540 to 144mbps.

Could you explain to me why it is capped at 144mbps? There are several
dual band routers that use both the 5 and 2.4 bands simultaaneously
(e.g. the Linksys WRT610N or D-Link DIR-825). And having a G device in
your 2.4 channel does not bring down the N devices to B speed (like any
B device would drag a G network down to B-speed).

The big improvement of using a N router is the strength of the signal
and the range; you don't need a N device at the other end for that. A
simple experience here: I couldn't get G wireless get to work in my
house at all. Even at very short distances (2 meters with a floor
between) I did not get any good connection (poor signal strength with
four different tested G routers), so I gave up. I now have a wireless N
router that feeds an SB3 and notebook through the same floor and some
walls without problem.

So, IMO wireless N is needed at the router side, not for the attached
devices. As G is perfectly adequate for streaming audio, I don't see the
urgency for N on SD devices. (I think future SD devices will have N, but
in the first place for marketing purposes. I hear the salesman already
saying: 'it doesn't even have wireless N.)

That said, to avoid any problems, I have my transporter on my wired
gigabit ethernet. But that's because I need that network in that part of
my house for other purposes, so it's already there.

Teus

--
Teus de Jong