The biggest part of the decision for me was - does it work with what I
have?

The answer was Yes.

Next biggest was will it work with whatever audio equipment I purchase
in the future?

Again yes.

Last of all, does it tie me to proprietary audio equipment I may not
like the quality of and that may not what I want in the future?

Yes again.
>From the very first day I hooked it up and heard it I knew it was a
good decision.

BTW - Maximum PC reviewed the Linksys/Cisco device.  Their conclusion
was that they should stick to making routers and switches and stay away
from audio.

--
tedfroop

"Good judgement is the result of experience ... Experience is the result
of bad judgement."

--  Fred Brooks