jdoering;473255 Wrote:
> Interesting. A while back MSFT quoted the $600 rule when providing
> "free" software as a benefit for particapting in one of their usability
> studies. They neglected to explain the nuances of the rule.

If participants got software to keep for no payment, then that is free,
isn't it? Did they also say it was non-taxable?

jdoering;473255 Wrote:
> I was actually wondering if hardware to beta testers and such fell into
> the same classification or if it was somehow different since they're
> providing it for you to do something on their behalf (versus the MSFT
> software which was purely an after-the-fact perk).

If I understand you, are you thinking about the fact that hardware
can't be tested unless it is provided? That's right. What would make it
taxable is that the tester can keep it.

If the testers sign paperwork beyond a non-disclosure agreement, it
might mention that they receive the unit in return for testing. Or maybe
no mention is made.

Perhaps one of the Radio or Touch program participants could comment?

--
Goodsounds