stefanta650;483048 Wrote:
> Hi there!
> I have a Squeezebox Classic and most of my music is in flac format. All
> these files have the ReplayGain-Tag. As far as I know ReplayGain is just
> a tag and does NOT affect the music data itself. So when listening to my
> music and applying ReplayGain I was a bit surprised and sort of
> disappointed as the music sounded not that clear and bright as without
> replay gain applied. So my question is: does applying replaygain affect
> the sound quality? If so what can I do to at least reduce that effect
> (maybe use an external DAC?). Or are there any other ways to 'normalize'
> the volume output?
>
> Thanks for your help!!
>
> Stefan

RG is just a tag and doesn't change the audio data in your files.
RG simply causes the Classic to reduce the volume via its 24-bit level
control (which is very good quality by the way).

When using RG, you MUST have the digital level set to maximum.
RG will reduce the level by -10dB or less.

The reason your music sounds less good is either:

1) it is just quieter and quieter ALWAYS sounds less clear and bright
or
2) You have the digital level a lot less than max and so the total
reduction in level is too great, eating into the SNR/dynamic range of
the music

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio