radish wrote:
>  I know it can vary by locality, but does anyone know if in general
> (in the US) a homeowner can do this kind of work without getting
> permits/inspections etc? I'm concerned about insurance companies having
> a "get out" if they decide you had unauthorized wiring in the walls
> after a fire (even if it wasn't a contributing factor). I'm perfectly
> confident I can do it safely, and would of course use the in-wall rated
> stuff.

Check with your local building code/permit folks. But in general, low
voltage wiring (POTS, alarm systems, ethernet) can be done by the homeowner.

In my county, the homeowner can even do their own 120v AC work, after a
class and passing a test. You still have to get any main-power work
inspected, but you can do that work yourself.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/