Adapters cost here about £30 at each end for a single ethernet port, or £70 for
an extension with three ethernet ports and seven power sockets. That's a lot
less expensive than any quote I've had for running equivalent concealed cables
within the walls and floors round this place. Terminating anything (other than
an occasional salmon, or perhaps the odd pigeon in the park) holds no appeal
for me.

Whether they're fast enough for video I don't know, but I've found that the
latest flavour - the 200Mb variety of which I've quoted the price - are
certainly fast enough for full res uncompressed music without problems of any
sort to and from multiple Squeezeboxes, which is my only concern.