RonM;485639 Wrote:
> We built our house ten years ago, and seized the opportunity to install
> cabling in the walls (at the time, to support distribution of satellite
> tv and also ethernet to computers).  We put connect boxes in a whole lot
> of places, all terminated at a patch panel -- still bristling with
> multiple cable ends. Am not sure of the cabling CAT type, not sure if 5e
> was out and about at the time.
>
> However, the cabling works well and is supporting HD satellite at 1080i
> (as high as it gets).  The ethernet supports several computers in
> several locations, including links to the dedicated Fit2 music server,
> as well as the router.  Unfortunately, we did not put enough connect
> boxes, and have been unable to use it for the SB system itself -- had to
> drill a hole in the floor to get ethernet to the router for our main
> system, use wireless for the alternate (where there is one cable
> connection, but not ehternet).  So I fully agree with the advice to
> install LOTS of connect boxes.
>
> Overkill at initial construction is the obvious strategy.  When we
> upgraded to HD satellite recently, it was clear that the existing
> siamese cabling (two cables in one piece) was sufficient to support the
> signal, but limits us to two receivers in the house -- need a separate
> cable for each receiver if you are to tune the TVs separately).  Would
> have been best to install a total of four cables from the dish location
> to the patch panel, giving options for additional TVs/receivers in the
> house -- the switch to split the incoming sat signal is at the dish, and
> our supplier will only install it at the dish not inside the house,
> perhaps there are technical issues.
>
> The other thing we did when building was install good speaker wire in
> the walls, from the obvious location for the main stereo system, to the
> obvious main listening area.  This was a great idea, but too limited.  I
> wish we'd installed more locations allowing connectons through some sort
> of patch panel to multiple listening areas, and probably multiple
> options for location of the SBs/amps, etc.  Of course, SB type systems
> were not yet a factor in our consciousness.
>
> Ron

The big expense is the labor.  If you are doing such a major
construction project and the general contractor is amenable the smartest
move would be to run your own wire everywhere, and put some of the 3/4
inch smurf tubes for future use as well.  Terminate it all to a patch
panel in the basement, crawl space, etc.

A friend of mine paid $3300 to have his entire house wired while it was
being built.  They would not let him do it because he wasn't a licensed
contractor.  So, he ended up with about $500 of wires installed at a
cost of $2800.

At the end of the day though he's still better off for it.  He has
cat5e and speakers pre-wired to pretty much every part of the home.

--
jmpage2