JJZolx;502070 Wrote:
> Not as the automated ripping solution that you're talking about, but for
> editing tags it's 100 times more elegant than VNCing into the server
> itself to run software remotely.  If you like Songbird, and it's
> available for your Intel Mac, why don't you use it across the network?

I agree, it's much better than VNCing, but except for Jaikoz which I
admit I haven't used enough there is no good Mac alternative to Mp3tag.

The problem I've run into with Songbird for this use is the same I
stumbled with on iTunes: running the program on one computer while
storing on a server may give file sharing & permission issues.  You may
have everything all set and working nicely one day, then you update your
system, run maintenance, or accidentally start iTunes while not
connected to the server and -- whoops  -- without knowing it you've
reset permissions that'll mess you up next time.

Songbird may not be as bad as iTunes in this respect, but it does have
one catch to it: if I choose to use it to remote manage the server I
cannot use it on my laptop.  Only one library.

--
kphinney

-I like it, you may not.  I understand and respect that.-