My problem with playlist creation is that I like to build relatively
small playlists (50-100 songs), based on nothing more than "these are
the songs I want to listen to (in a random order) today."  My music
library isn't enormous (2000 songs or so), so doing this on a
drag-n-drop interface is quite useful.  I used to use iTunes, and still
do for my lossy iPod library, but I have a separate FLAC library I use
for my Squeezeboxen, and need to create playlists for that.

That said, I just tried out Songbird with the Playlist Exporter plugin,
and it looks like it will do what I want it to do.  Doesn't solve the
OP's issue, though, because it's not a universal binary...

--
kmr