bobkoure;511411 Wrote:
> I'm having a hard time understanding why the server software should be
> the same for both video and audio, and why there shouldn't just be
> separate players.

The obvious reasons are:
- It's often cheaper to get one device than getting two
- For the manufacturer it might be cheaper to be able to share some
hardware and software which are the same for both audio and video.
Remember that a video device needs to do be able to do audio anyway so
why not also allow audio without video.

However, the issue is that the Squeezebox isn't a video device, it's a
audio device. In this situation the advantage of adding video isn't as
obvious, it is a lot easier for a video device to add audio support.

I can see one use case scenario where video would be interesting:
- Music videos

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))