mortslim;584453 Wrote:

> Actually the squeezebox flickr app would be a good feature to see on a
> TV with the Logitech Revue.

Aren't Revue based on Android ? In that case I suspect there are a lot
of Flickr apps already available which you just can install and use, no
need to use the Squeezebox one. Or isn't  Revue open for third party
apps ?

mortslim;584453 Wrote:

> Maybe Logitech could make a cut down version of the Revue which doesn't
> have cable box integration for say $99. which of course should include
> squeezebox integration.

Removing the cable box integration means that they remove everything
that makes it unique as a video device compared to the competition.
MySB integration might be of interest but probably in the $300 Revue
version to make it look better compared to similar products. The
central servers are already there, so they just need to do the client
part.

mortslim;584453 Wrote:

> When you're the only game in town, $300. might have been acceptable.
> Now that the competition has lowered the price of entry, Logitech has
> to offer something at the lower prices too to stay in the game.

Do you know if someone else offers an online/network video product with
cable box integration ?

mortslim;584453 Wrote:

> Actually, which brings up a new issue: if Logitech abandons the
> squeezebox line, what happens to mysqueezebox.com?  Is that needed to
> connect to all the online services through the squeezebox?

I think MySB is currently needed for most, but not all, subscription
based services. It's also used for some of the artwork scaling
functionality on Touch and Radio.

If they abandon the Squeezebox line and doesn't implement MySB client
integration in Revue, it's probably just a matter of time before MySB
servers also disappear. They will of course probably have to keep them
alive until the warranty of the last sold Squeezebox expires, so it's
not going to happen anytime soon. If they don't come out with any more
new products with Squeezebox functionality this is going to happen,
it's just a matter of time. I don't think they have any big
subscription based incomes from the Squeezebox products, so if they
doesn't sell more hardware units MySB is just a cost.

However, as Andy mentioned in some thread, they are still discussing
integrating Squeezebox functionality in the Revue, it just wasn't high
priority for the initial Revue release.

There are probably more reasons to worry about playback of locally
stored music through Squeezebox Server than MySB.com. Online music
based on monthly subscriptions is here to stay and it's going to
increase. MySB.com is perfect for this as it makes it possible to have
fairly thin and cheap player products which still offers a lot of
functionality.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))