snarlydwarf;584456 Wrote:

> Add in the "cable card" chaos, and I really don't see a reason to get
> an alternative cable box... keeping the price down is crucial.  Why pay
> $300 for what I can get for free from Comcast?  I don't want to see
> Facebook on a 42" screen.  Comcast's "On Demand" works well enough.

I don't think the Revue have any "cable card", it just have some kind
of IR-blaster that can control your cable box.

I think the reason to include the cable box integration is that it
means that you get a single device which you can interface to:
- See online content from youtube and similar sites on Internet
- See commercial content from your cable box

And you get access to this through an iPhone/Android app with support
for similar features like a Harmony remote which makes it possible to
control all your equipment.

If you are happy with interfacing multiple separate boxes, there is no
reason to get Revue. In this case it's better to get one of the cheaper
products from other manufacturers, for example the $99 AppleTV unless
you hate the restricted Apple controlled world.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))