There's little objective measure of strength because the power output is
regulated by, well, not law, exactly; here in the US it's regulated by,
FCC regulation.

If you have a techie friend, I'd suggest just getting one of the
routers that can have DD-WRT installed on it. I use an 'Asus WL-520'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023&cm_re=dd-wrt-_-33-320-023-_-Product)as
a repeater and it's been flawless.

I'd also suggest newegg.com as a place to look at customer reviews,
which is about as close as you'll get to reliability ratings.

All that said, before you start looking at all this - how close are
your nearest neighbors? Could you be having an interference problem
with one of their routers? If that's a possibility (and if you can), it
might be worth changing the 'channel' that your router is using. If it's
like the US, it came set to 6. Try 1 or 11. It could be as simple as
that.

--
bobkoure