I've done some test on my Ubuntu box and compared SQLite with MySQL and
my results are a bit different than JJZolx.

I've cleared the file system cache before each test and I've executed
each test case twice to ensure I get the same performance. All the
tests started with an empty Cache directory and I started to server and
let it do a full rescan. The tests has been run in a virtual environment
but since I executed them twice I feel that they are repeatable and due
to this should be fairly accurate.

The library I used was the generated 50000 track test library I've
posted about earlier in the beta forum. It contains very small FLAC
files which tags has been generated from a discogs database dump. All
music files were stored on a local drive. Statistics from library is:

Total Tracks: 49,808
Total Albums: 4,313
Total Artists: 7,495
Total Genres: 13

The tests were executed on 7.6.1 r33004 (which contains a new SQLite
version but still haven't incorporated the latest WAL related changes
Andy has done)

Anyway, the results are as follows (Discovering files + Scanning new
files):

MYSQL (HIGH DATABASE MEMORY SETTING)
* Discovering files: 00:00:33
* Scanning new files: 00:34:26

MYSQL (NORMAL DATABASE MEMORY SETTING)
* Discovering files: 00:00:34
* Scanning new files: 02:23:09

SQLITE (HIGH DATABASE MEMORY SETTING)
* Discovering files: 00:00:30
* Scanning new files: 00:10:51

SQLITE (NORMAL DATABASE MEMORY SETTING)
* Discovering files: 00:00:30
* Scanning new files: 00:16:28

As you can see, my results are very different from the similar results
JJZolx saw with 65 000 tracks. In all my tests SQLite is a lot faster
than MySQL which is completely opposite to what JJZolx got earlier in
his tests on Windows.

Another thing that's clear is that the "Database Memory Config" in SBS
Settings/Advanced/Performance makes a big difference, especially on
MySQL.

A quick analysis indicates that the difference could be:
- Linux vs Windows
- SQLite version (I think I used a newer version than JJZolx)
- MySQL version (I used the same as in 7.5, not sure what JJZolx uses)
- Tagging difference (my library is tagged differently than JJZolx)
- FLAC size difference (my FLAC files are a bit smaller than JJZolx)

I plan to run a few more tests to compare with different library sizes
to see if I see the same issues where it slows down with a larger
library as JJZolx saw in his tests. Will get back to more information
about this as soon as I've executed the tests.

Also, the artwork precaching phase does work in my Linux setup with
MySQL in the above tests but I didn't include it in these test results
as I wanted the results too be comparable with those made by JJZolx.
The time of the pre-caching phase seems to vary a lot between different
test runs, not sure exactly why, but it varies between 2-6 minutes in
time in my tests with exactly same configuration, the variation happens
both with SQLite and MySQL so it doesn't seem to be database engine
related.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))