Philip Meyer;647712 Wrote:

> I'm not sure how the scanner works now, but assume it needs to read
> content back out of the DB when deciding how to process each file
> scanned.  As it looks like there aren't any tidy-up phases any more, it
> must be running queries or reading content back out to determine if
> adding a new song to an album, whether the album should become a
> compilation, etc.

As far as I can see from the code it does some reading, but to know for
sure one would have to enable logging on the database.

Philip Meyer;647712 Wrote:

> If that is the case, the scanner is going to become increasingly
> inefficient as the number of songs increases.

I have a generated library with 50 000 very small FLAC files and I can
scan that within 10-15 minutes.

I also did some test with a generated library with same size as my
normal FLAC library with 3500 tracks and the result were:
- Real library (91 GB): full rescan 92 seconds
- flactruncate.pl library (31 MB): full rescan 32 seconds
- My random generated flac library (15 MB): full rescan 25 seconds

So the scanning time is greatly affected by the file size. If the FLAC
file size results in a linear performance loss related to library size,
it would mean that a 50 000 FLAC library would take about 25-40 minutes
in my setup.

I'm not sure if JJZolx is using a generated library with full size FLAC
files or if it's a library with small FLAC files.

One thing that should be mentioned is that my generated library doesn't
have any album covers, so if the performance is somehow related to
artwork handling that won't be seen in my tests, at least not until
I've added album covers to the test library.

If there is an interest, I'll try to run some more tests in my
environment with different library sizes. However, I can't run
realistic tests of scanning performance because of limited disc space
to store full size FLAC files, but I can run tests to compare
SQLite/MySQL with small FLAC files or to compare browsing performance
which should be independent of FLAC file size.

The only issue is that I only have a virtual environment, so it's not
going to be 100% accurate and comparable with a real environment.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))