Is that what's being offered here, though? If so, then fine. It would be both
legal and entirely reasonable. My impression from the initial post in this
thread, however, was that - to quote its first sentence - "trackstat
deactivated itself". This implies that an existing update had been unilaterally
deactivated by the vendor in expectation of payment (although I realise now
that that might imply merely the end of a trial period). If that's not the
case, then clearly I have missed something and misunderstood what all the fuss
is about.

Erland's opening post in his thread about this might be read either way: to
suggest that this will apply only to new installations, or that charges will be
applied retrospectively for existing installations. He said: "The plugin/applet
will be required for the people using my other applets or plugins." His use of
"using" seems to imply strongly that those already "using" the plug ins will be
affected, whether they like it or not.

That implication is further strengthened in the next part of that sentence:
"The purpose is that the full functionality in the applets/plugins will slowly
start to only be available for paying customers" ."Slowly" is then defined as
being rolled out from a few plug ins initially to, perhaps, his full range.
It is possible that this is intended to apply only to new installations, but
that was not my understanding when reading it, and if that is the intention it
is by no means clear.

If it is intended to charge only for new installations, while $20 seems a very
high price for a plug in for an existing application when set against common
pricing paradigms elsewhere, he has every right to ask whatever price he thinks
will give him the best income. It's his work and his time.

If not - well, that's a different matter entirely, as your excellent post makes
very clear, Phil. Some clarification from Erland would be helpful.