For me the issue is that I'm not interested in a single player, I'm
interested in a system where I know I will be able to add new devices
in the future without replacing all existing players which I've
purchased recently.

To make sure this is the case, the manufacturer have to make sure
that:
- New devices can use the same music library/server software as old
devices
- I'm able to remote control all devices using a single remote
- Provide devices both for the main listening room and for other rooms
without a HiFi amplifier, like kitchen and bedroom.

At the moment it feels like this more or less limits the options to:
- Logitech
- Sonos
- Possibly Apple (AirPort Express/AppleTV/iOS docks)

Nobody else have something that makes me believe I can be sure to be
able to purchase additional players one or two years in the future that
still is compatible with the old players.

I'm not sure Apple should be in the list because they aren't really
focused at a multi room solution with remote control unless you control
it from a computer, they are more focused at locally controlled mobile
devices.

Sonos has the advantage that they give the impression that they are
still going to be around two years in the future and still produce
multi room audio solutions. Unfortunately they have a lot of
disadvantages compared to Logitech offerings, for example more or less
no support for third party add-ons, no display directly on the device
and a price that makes it expensive to extend to rooms which doesn't
have HiFi requirements.

Logitech works thanks to all their existing products but my fear is
that they are in the future going to be more focused at cheaper Radio
like devices and due to this it will be easy to extend the system to
rooms which don't have HiFi requirements but extending it to rooms with
HiFi requirements might get harder in the future.

Except for the above options it's easy to find a single player
replacement of a single room from other manufacturers, but it's hard to
find anyone you believe will be around two years in the future and still
produce something which is usable together with players which you can
purchase from them today.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I see a lot of options for a single
room solution but as soon as we talk about a multi-room system it gets
a lot harder to find anyone that provides something.

Has anyone else found anything except Sonos or Logitech that
realistically already today can be an alternative in a multi room
system ?

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
Interested in music discovery ? See 'Social Music Discovery (SMD)'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=656713) project.