mlsstl wrote:
>  ... the more common was of enjoying popular music for most of the 140
> year history of music sales to the public.

Interesting message.

I am aware the debate is about recorded music.

Let us not forget the music "ideal", despite its sometimes compromised
audiop quality, is the live performance. I think most stereo shrines pay
tribute to pursuing that ideal. And longer compiled works give us the
ability to tailor said pseudo-live performance to our ideal.

In a technology unconstrained future, I'd probably have a hologram of my
favorite -past and present- artists performing songs in a variety of
perfect surroundings, and thanking me personally for my patronage. I'd
probably own virtual rights to said performances, but the storage
location is utterly seamless to me. I can just pop on my 3D Glasses and
B&W Nautilus headspeakers and rock on. :D