cncb wrote:

> I would just like playlist groups (hierarchy) and predefined genre
> shuffle playlists (smartlists or whatever you want to call them).  This
> kind of (standard) stuff should be built in and I shouldn't have to pay
> $50 to a 3rd-party developer to get it.

I completely agree that it should be included in the standard product,
I've tried to convince Logitech about it since 2006.

However, the advantage with Squeezebox compared to other solutions is
that with Squeezebox you can at least get the functionality, you just
have to pay for SQL Playlist/Dynamic Playlist plugins to get it. Also,
just to be correct, it's not really $50, the SQL Playlist plugin (which
includes Dynamic Playlist) currently costs $20 for an unlimited license
or $5 for a one year license.

As a side note, you can use the standard Random Mix plugin included in
SBS/LMS to play random songs from a genre.