Mnyb wrote:

> Controllers battery is not very long lived , luckily it is the same as
> some popular Harmony remotes , so it won't get out of stock for a while
> , some chargers for controllers also have a connection problem. Newer ones
> don't, and it is possible to bend contacts in the dock to
make it work - search the forums for instructions (rather old now).  I
have a spare Controller and two spare batteries.  Should last me a
while!

The Controller is still the most used way of selecting music in my
household.  It has no alternative use for the kids (unlike an iPod Touch
or phone) so never strays far from the dock.

The Controller screen also dims over time - something to do with the
backlight I suspect.  You can stave this off almost indefinitely if you
use the blank screensaver option.

And finally... do what I did and buy a spare.  My current Controller has
been heavily abused by my kids - dropped onto wooden floor several
times, sat on, slept on, variously covered in food, mud, Guinea Pig
(Cavey) droppings and pee.  It is still working fine - even polishes up
quite well!

So if it can survive that lot and still work after nearly 5 years then
it is probably good for another two or three - particularly as the kids
are now slightly more sensible than they were 4 years ago.