JohnB wrote:
> Sorry for this very late comment but I thought it worth mentioning that
> when I want to play a ripped CD as a 'CD' I use browse the music
> folders. When I want to play a specific work I can search for it very
> simply, as I posted.
>
> Of course, everyone has their own methods. The beauty of this forum is
> that we can share methods and get ideas which might help us.
Amazing how differently everyone treats things.  My classical tracks are
filed by composer, work, performer (pop is filed by Album).

However, we have got a bit off message on this topic.  I have been
trying out some UPnP Control Points for my UPnP Client (a Musical
Fidelity M1CLiC) with limited success on my Linux laptop, and my Android
mobile.  As server I have tried the Vortexbox DLNA server, plus
foobar2000 and MediaTomb on another PC desktop running Linux.

The best server for me is foobar2000 with the UPnP plug-in, not least
because you can change the index so as to include non-standard tags,
such as Work.  This is the only server I have yet found that allows one
to get away from just having Artist, Album, Genre etc.  It runs OK on
Linux under Wine - not perfect, but good enough.  I can also use it as a
Control Point on my laptop.  However, none of this is 100% stable.

MediaTomb is a good server, and if I worked at it might be more flexible
than I have currently discovered.  Leia has been the most stable Linux
Control Point, with Skifta best so far on Android.

Anywhichway - LMS is streets ahead on usability.