JohnB wrote:
> Sorry for this very late comment but I thought it worth mentioning that
> when I want to play a ripped CD as a 'CD' I use browse the music
> folders. When I want to play a specific work I can search for it very
> simply, as I posted.
>
> Of course, everyone has their own methods. The beauty of this forum is
> that we can share methods and get ideas which might help us.

Yes the way classic music evolved ( before the recording industry ) it
is not only ill fitted to to the media (to dynamic and complete random
collections to fill a disc and playing time does not fit anything ) no
tagging schema have evolved with influence from classical music.
Thus it does not sit well with any media player .

Myself I do not listen much to classical ( I do sometimes ) but i do
understand the problem , similar issue could be recognized in jazz or
hip-hop/rap or folk where composers ,artist ,soloist ore not well
behaved :) and actually in any music.
But it is very evident in classical as most composers are dead and we
almost never record original events but what rock fans would call
cover/tribute bands ;) and focus shifts to  who interpreted what in what
context ?
An effort to break this meta data paradigms would greatly enhance music
listening and exploring , especially if the "clues" left in one piece of
music could lead to another in a natural way ??