I am hoping that by running LMS on a dedicated Linux box that I don't
need to update in any way, I can keep LMS running for a long time.

My music streaming pre-amp (a Musical Fidelity M1CLic) supports UPnP.
However, having spent some time adding extra tags to my music (mainly
Work, Movement and the Id of the original CD/LP) many of the standard
UPnP systems can't provide what I need for classical music.  However, it
will come as little surprise to many that foobar2000, even running under
wine on Linux, can support non-standard tags and include menu entries
for them.  I haven't done much with this other than to prove it can be
made to work.   So I have a way out if I need it.  I'm hoping I don't.