simbo wrote:
> I assume this doesn't cover the -fabrication- of the case too... anyone
> got a 3D printer? :)

I wasn't going to bother designing anything for GEN1, I thought the dev
guys could nail it to a plank of wood while working on it, although I'm
happy to do so if needs be.

As for GEN2, my thoughts are along the lines of a standard aluminium
extruded case with custom end panels - Nice thick CNC machined and
engraved front panel and a laser cut and laser engraved rear.
I'm also thinking of producing a 3d model of a clam type case that
people can take to their preferred rapid prototype supplier and get a
set extruded - I'm not sure this would be any cheaper than the aluminium
version though and cheap 3D printing looks a bit sh1t.

At this point I'm not sure what the board size will be and whether or
not GEN1 and 2 will be identical in layout and connector placement. I
did see 75mm square mentioned earlier in the thread (3" square to some
of you guys). If it stays around this size we can make a lovely little
case for it.

If we go for a standard extruded ali case we should make the board fit
the slots often extruded internally - we would need 3mm clear of
components and track running along the sides of the PCB to accommodate
this.
Most of these extruded cases come standard widths and various lengths.
If the PCB could be made to fit the internal length as well as the width
the mounted indicators, connectors etc would just pop through the end
panel cutouts - no soldering, just slide in the PCB, 2 panels, 8 screws
and 4 rubber feet later and you have a completed unit.

Both options could be obtained via a group buy and I'm willing to help
with this if needed, but early days at the moment.

Once John has reasonably firm idea of the PCB area required I'll look
see what is available off the shelf for the main case body.
Those who are interested pop over to the Hammond Manufacturing web site
- they have a lot of info and 3D models of their standard range. These
cases should be available worldwide from RS, Farnell and DigiKey amongst
others.

norm