JackOfAll already answered to the question about the quality of the
onboard chip
> From an onboard audio perspective, just about anything is going to beat
> the default sgtl5000 audio implementation on the carrier board. Truly
> terrible!

And about what I've understood from John posts, having a quality onboard
DAC does not mean a huge price increase (BTW, it is already included in
the price estimates in the first posts) and does not prevent you from
using your DAC

Last, if you absolutely don't want a DAC, you might be able to use a
standard wandboard as a transport with little efforts

I am personnaly very interested in a platform "ready to use in your
stereo" which can also evolve in the future in various formats such as
boom-like and so on.